Kollam: At least 102 people are feared dead and over 280 injured after firecrackers caused a massive fire at the Puttingal temple in the coastal town of Paravur located about 60 kms from the state capital, early on Sunday.
The gruesome incident occurred around 3:30 am on Sunday.
Eyewitnesses said that the fireworks display started close to midnight and when nearing its close, a spark from a cracker landed in a building that had stored some high potency crackers and it caught fire causing a massive explosion.
Following this, the building collapsed and that was the prime reason for the number of casualties to increase.
Here are the latest updates:
– This is a big tragedy, I talked to Kerala CM as soon as I received the news: Rajnath Singh
– Centre has already offered medical assistance, but at present we are fully equipped: Oommen Chandy
– Meeting state cabinet today, we will discuss and then take a decision:Oommen Chandy on being asked if judicial probe will be ordered
– An additional team of Indian Coast Guard is on its way to Kollam to donate blood
– The issue of ordering a judicial probe into the tragedy will be discussed in the cabinet meeting today, Centre has offered for medical assistance but we are fully equipped: Chandy
– Kerala CM Oommen Chandy visits Puttingal temple.
“Sufficient medical facilities are available here, we are giving best medical care to all injured persons,” says Chandy after visiting the site.
– Expressing deep shock and grief at the tragic incident, Congress president Sonia Gandhi asked the government to ensure ample and immediate relief measures. Sonia Gandhi, issuing a statement, also prayed for the departed souls and well being of the injured.