NEW DELHI: The defence ministry has asked CBI to probe complaints against two serving major generals for allegedly having assets disproportionate to their known sources of income.
The ministry had in September red-flagged the promotion of certain officers following allegations of impropriety.
“The defence ministry has forwarded to CBI complaints against these two officers and has sought a reply,” defence sources said on Thursday, adding that the government will not tolerate corruption at any level.
The CBI will now look into the complaints and report back to the ministry.
Giving a background to the case, sources said that a meeting of the Special Promotion Board of the Army was held last year to fill up the vacancy of three lieutenant generals for which about 33 officers were considered.
A set of names cleared by the board was sent to the defence ministry.
However, following the meeting of the board, a series of complaints against some officers surfaced, many of which were being circulated on the social media too.
Taking cognizance of the matter, defence minister Manohar Parrikar himself looked into the issue. It was found that one of the two officers, against whom the ministry has roped in the agency, had faced a CBI inquiry few years back over allegations of corruption in a project undertaken by Border Roads Organisation, sources said.