Chennaiyin FC’s victory was marred by an unsavoury incident on Sunday which led to Goa Police arresting the winning captain Elano Blumar for insulting, abusing and assaulting FC Goa’s co-owner, industrialist Dattaraj Salgaonkar, after the match.The incident, the police said, occurred after the match at the FC Goa dugout.
Elano has been slapped with charges of wrongful restraint under Section 341 of IPC.
Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar, who was present for the match, left before the prize distribution ceremony.
When contacted, he told The Hindu; “I left the stadium when, apart from poor refereeing, I noticed the Chennaiyin FC captain insulting, abusing and assaulting Mr. Salgaonkar.
“I did not find it worthwhile to even wait for the prize distribution function. I was invited for the match by Mr. Salgaonkar.” —
ISL: Chennaiyin it is
New kings: Chennaiyin FC snatch ISL trophy in dramatic finish
Arsenal v Man City: not a title decider, say fans
Bogdan’s blunder condemns Liverpool to Watford woe
Ian Rush Column: ISL on the right track
Please Wait while comments are loading…
1. Comments will be moderated by The Hindu editorial team.
2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published.
3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters,
or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text.
(example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not ‘the’, n is not ‘and’).
4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.
5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.