A defiant New York on Thursday stared down an Islamic State propaganda video threatening the city as White House hopeful Hillary Clinton called for a US-led global fight to defeat the extremists.
Less than a week after attacks killed 129 people in Paris, an IS video showed a man preparing a suicide vest and fingering its trigger, interlaced with footage of New York’s Times and Herald Squares.
“The people of New York City will not be intimidated,” de Blasio told reporters beneath the bright lights of the square, in the heart of New York’s entertainment district.
“We understand it is the goal of terrorists to intimidate and disrupt our democratic society. We will not submit to their wishes,” he added.
“There is no specific and credible threat against New York City. So it’s crucial that people go about their normal business.”
New York has the largest police force in the country, with 35,000 officers. By chance, this week also saw the first deployment of 100 extra rapid reaction counterterrorism officers out of a promised 500.
Bratton said the video itself was “nothing new.”
“We believe it’s a compilation of videos going back to one in August that was directed against Germany, one in October directed against Israel, and 19 seconds of about a five-and-a-half minute video released today had scenes of New York,” he explained.
As America’s largest city, entertainment and financial capital, New York is on a near-constant state of alert, particularly since the 9/11 Al-Qaeda attacks killed more than 2,700 at the Twin Towers.
Since then, more than 20 plots have been thwarted, including four in the last two years, said counterterrorism chief John Miller.