Home / News / International / Haj pilgrimage crush: death toll rises to 220

Haj pilgrimage crush: death toll rises to 220

The death toll from a crush of pilgrims on Thursday during the annual Muslim haj in Saudi Arabia has risen to 220, the Saudi civil defence said.

It said that 450 other people had also been injured in the crush caused by large numbers of people pushing at Mina, outside the Muslim holy city of Makkah.

Over two million people are performing the annual Haj pilgrimage, Saudi Arabia’s al-Ekhbariya television reported.

The Ministry of External Affairs said that there had been no news of any Indians being affected so far, but they were awaiting confirmation from the Haj office.

Leave a Reply

Scroll To Top