- The death toll in a crush of people at the annual hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia has risen to 310, says Saudi civil defence.
- The Indian consulate has issued a helpline number – 00966125458000. Officials at the Indian Consulate in Jeddah, meanwhile, add that so far they have no information about any Indian casualty.
- Figures released today by the official Saudi Press Agency say 1,952,817 pilgrims had performed this year`s hajj, including almost 1.4 million foreigners.
- It is not immediately clear if the stoning ritual at Mina would continue as planned until Saturday after the stampede.
- Today’s ritual was taking place at a five-storey structure known as the Jamarat Bridge, which cost more than USD 1 billion to build, and which was used during earlier pilgrimages. Almost one kilometre (less than a mile) long, it resembles a parking garage and allows 300,000 pilgrims an hour to carry out the ritual.
- One Indian pilgrim has been injured in the incident. Kerala Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala tells reporters in Thiruvananthapuram that a hajj pilgrim from Lakshadweep was among the injured. About 136,000 Indians are taking part in the hajj pilgrimage.
- Over 220 ambulances and 4,000 rescue workers have been sent to the stampede`s location to help the wounded. Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya television channel is showing a convoy of ambulances driving through the Mina camp.
- The death toll from a crush of pilgrims today during the annual Muslim hajj in Saudi Arabia has risen to 220, the Saudi civil defence said. It said that 450 other people had been injured in the crush caused by large numbers of people pushing at Mina.
- The last major incident in hajj took place in 2006, when at least 346 pilgrims were killed as they attempted to perform the stoning of the devil at Jamarat.
Home / News / International / At least 310 people killed, 500 injured in stampede during Hajj outside Mecca