When Manchester United meets Southampton on Sunday, the touchline battle will be as engrossing as the one on the pitch.
The contest will add another chapter to the long-running feud between Dutchmen Louis van Gaal and Ronald Koeman who fell out during their time together at Ajax in 2004.
Last year, their attempts to patch up — over a glass of wine, as is customary between managers after a Premier League game — widened the rift further as van Gaal failed to honour the commitment and Koeman paid back in kind when his turn arrived.
When you have van Gaal in charge, it is a fact that there is fear in his team. The players have a fear for Mr. van Gaal. That is not always good — Koeman on van Gaal
Koeman engineered my departure from Ajax with support from within the club and help from the media — van Gaal on Koeman
Playing this weekend: Two of football’s most bitter feuds
Please Wait while comments are loading…
1. Comments will be moderated by The Hindu editorial team.
2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published.
3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters,
or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text.
(example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not ‘the’, n is not ‘and’).
4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.
5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.