A Fredy Guarin piledriver fired Inter Milan two points clear at the top of Serie A with a 1-0 win over AC Milan, for which Mario Balotelli made his second debut on Sunday.
Having failed to qualify for Europe this season, both Milan giants are desperate to make up for years of underachievement — and on this performance may now fancy their chances of a top finish, especially given Juventus’s early season woes.
Inter now sits two points clear of Chievo with a maximum nine points although Roma, also on seven points, is the Nerazzurri’s more notable challenger.
Milan shaded a lively opening half in which Carlos Bacca and Luiz Adriano kept the Nerazzurri defence on their toes, home ‘keeper Samir Handanovic notably saving at Adriano’s feet early on, while on-loan Manchester City forward Stevan Jovetic drilled just wide of Diego Lopez’s post at the other end.
In the last six league derbies neither side had scored more than one goal and the near capacity crowd almost saw Milan break the deadlock when Adriano blazed over while under pressure after latching on to Bacca’s neat pass.
Serie A: Inter Milan 1 (Guarin 58) bt AC Milan 0.
La Liga: Malaga 0 drew with Eibar 0.
Please Wait while comments are loading…
1. Comments will be moderated by The Hindu editorial team.
2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published.
3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters,
or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text.
(example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not ‘the’, n is not ‘and’).
4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.
5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.