Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras, invites applications for PhD and MS Scholarships, 2016 from students who are willing to pursue Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) and MS(by research) programmes offered in the various departments for the year 2016.
- Scholars admitted to PhD and MS programmes under regular scheme (full time) are eligible for Half-time Teaching/Research Assistantship (HTRA) for which they should work for 8 hours per week in the Departments.
- For PhD scholars:
- BE/B.Tech./M.Sc. graduates or equivalent with valid GATE/NET qualification will receive Rs.25,000/- per month for initial 2 years and Rs. 28,000/- per month for next 3 years.
- ME/M.Tech./MBBS or equivalent qualification candidates will receive Rs.25,000/- per month and Rs. 28,000/- per month upto 2 years
- For MS Scholars:
- In Engineering / Management will receive Rs.12,400/- per month up to 3 years
PhD in Engineering:
- Candidates with ME/M.Tech. or a Master’s degree by Research in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record.
- Candidates with Master’s degree in Sciences with a good academic record and of exceptional merit with eligibility for the relevant Engineering discipline and with a valid GATE score or UGC/CSIR NET/NBHM/INSPIRE or equivalent qualification.
PhD in Science:
- Master’s degree in Sciences with a good academic record and having a valid GATE score/ UGC – JRF or NET / CSIR-JRF / INSPIRE / NBHM or equivalent qualification.
- Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record.
- Students who get more than 8.0 CGPA in M.Sc. in Science Departments of IIT Madras can be admitted directly to their Ph.D programme in Sciences with interview at departmental level.
PhD in Humanities and Social Sciences:
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline with a good academic record and qualifying in national level examinations such as UGC – JRF or NET / CSIR-JRF/ GATE score or equivalent qualification.
PhD in Management:
- Master’s degree or equivalent PG Diploma or Associateship in a relevant discipline, and a Bachelor’s degree with a good academic record (or) Five year integrated Master’s degree/dual degree or equivalent and Qualifying in national level examinations such as CAT /XAT /MAT /ATMA /GATE /UGC or CSIR / NET / JRF or equivalent or international level post graduate admission examination such as GMAT / GRE or equivalent. (or)
- Master’s degree in Engineering / Technology with a good academic record or a Master’s degree by Research in Engineering / Technology in a relevant discipline are exempted from qualifying in National level examinations.
Eligibility criteria for Direct admission to PhD programme in various Engineering and Science departments for the candidates having BE/B.Tech.:
- a BE/B.Tech. from Centrally Funded Technical Institute (CFTI) with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 and above on a 10.0 point scale or with a valid GATE score.
- a BE/B.Tech. with 8 CGPA or equivalent from any other University and having a valid GATE score.
- a BE/B.Tech. from a reputed R & D organization and having a proven research record
MS in Engineering:
- Candidates with a BE/B.Tech. with valid GATE score or a Master’s degree in appropriate Sciences/Management with a good academic record and a valid GATE score or AIMA or equivalent qualification tenable for the current year in the relevant areas.
- IIT B.Tech candidates with a CGPA score of 8.0 or above on a scale of 10 [SC/ST: 7.5 CGPA] are eligible to apply for M.S. Programme
MS in Entrepreneurship/Management:
- Bachelors degree or equivalent in any professional discipline of minimum four years duration or Masters degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline with a good academic record and
- A good score or pass in: National level post graduate admission qualifying examinations such as CAT/XAT/MAT/ ATMA/GATE/ UGC or CSIR NET JRF or Lectureship or equivalent (or) International level post graduate admission qualifying examination such as GMAT/GRE or equivalent.
- Candidates are possessing the minimum educational qualifications will be called for an interview and/or test by the Selection Committees of the respective departments.
How to Apply:
- Candidates can apply through online from 13th September, 2015.
Last date for Registration of application through online: 4th October, 2015
Tentative Date of Interview and/or Test: 7th – 29th November, 2015
Display of Selected candidates: 18th December, 2015
For more details, please visit: https://www.iitm.ac.in/sites/default/files/notices