Germany’s Mario Goetze struck twice as the world champions beat rivals Poland 3-1 in an entertaining Euro 2016 qualifying encounter on Friday to take over top spot in Group D and avenge last year’s defeat.
Thomas Mueller put the hosts in front after 12 minutes and Goetze added a second with a fine solo effort seven minutes later before a third Bayern Munich player, Poland captain Robert Lewandowski, cut the deficit with a diving header from Kamil Grosicki’s superb left-wing cross with the outside of his right foot.
Goetze, struggling for first team action in the Bundesliga over the past two seasons, sealed Germany’s win eight minutes from time on the rebound.
Both teams had plenty more chances in a flowing, attacking game but Germany, who had lost 2-0 in Warsaw last year, proved more efficient and took over at the top of Group D on 16 points from seven games, two ahead of Poland.
Germany next play Scotland, who lost 1-0 away to Georgia earlier on Friday, in Glasgow on Monday.
Please Wait while comments are loading…
1. Comments will be moderated by The Hindu editorial team.
2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published.
3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters,
or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text.
(example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not ‘the’, n is not ‘and’).
4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.
5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.