The transfer window in Spain closed Monday without a deal announced for the expected move of Manchester United goalkeeper, David de Gea, to Real Madrid, with local media reporting the deal fell through because the paperwork wasn’t submitted on time.
Madrid and United had been negotiating a deal that included Costa Rica goalkeeper Keylor Navas moving the other way, but the clubs apparently failed to register the paperwork with the Spanish league offices, before midnight local time.
If the deal falls through, De Gea could be forced to return to United, despite having been dropped from the team by manager Louis van Gaal, as the talks dragged on. Mr. Gaal has said De Gea had his heart set on a move back to his hometown.
It was unclear whether the clubs would appeal to league authorities or UEFA in an attempt to push the deal through.
Please Wait while comments are loading…
1. Comments will be moderated by The Hindu editorial team.
2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published.
3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters,
or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text.
(example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not ‘the’, n is not ‘and’).
4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.
5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.