Former Brazil international midfielder Elano has vowed to return to Santos as he prepares to rejoin Chennaiyin FC. Elano is tied to Santos until next June but a clause in his contract has allowed Chennaiyin to sign the 34-year-old on loan for the three-month Indian Super League season, reported Xinhua news agency.
He will make his last 2015 appearance for Santos in their round-of-16 Copa do Brasil clash against Corinthians on Wednesday. “I want to make it clear that I’m not leaving Santos,” Elano said on Tuesday.
“I signed a contract (with Chennaiyin) without knowing if I’d return to Santos. I’m sad about that. It’s an important time for the club but at the same time I know the team is in good hands.”
Santos are currently 12th in the 20-team Brazilian Series A standings at the season’s midway point.
Elano was the leading scorer in the Indian Super League’s first season last year with eight goals despite missing several games through injury. Capped 50 times for Brazil, the former Manchester City player has won six trophies in three separate spells at Santos.
Please Wait while comments are loading…
1. Comments will be moderated by The Hindu editorial team.
2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published.
3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters,
or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text.
(example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not ‘the’, n is not ‘and’).
4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.
5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.