FC Barcelona defender Dani Alves has blamed last week’s gruelling UEFA Super Cup clash against Sevilla Football Club for the humiliation at the hands of Atletic Bilbao in the Supercopa de Espana.
The Catalan giants were defeated 1-5 on aggregate by Bilbao after a 1-1 second leg draw at the Camp Nou on Monday. Bilbao had thrashed Barcelona 4-0 in the first leg last week.
Lionel Messi had pulled a goal back for Barcelona in the first-half. But a red card to defender Gerard Pique shortly after the break put paid to the hosts’ chances.
Dani however, said the La Liga champions were laid low by the 120-minute duel with Sevilla — which the Catalans won 5-4 after extra time — and were not at their top physical shape against Bilbao.
“We paid the price for the European Super Cup match and didn’t have much time to prepare. There were all those things, but there is no place for excuses,” Dani told reporters after the match.
“Perhaps we didn’t get enough things right in the two games. Perhaps we didn’t compete as hard we can,” he added.
Please Wait while comments are loading…
1. Comments will be moderated by The Hindu editorial team.
2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published.
3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters,
or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text.
(example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not ‘the’, n is not ‘and’).
4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.
5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.