Former Cardiff City and West Ham United central defender Roger Johnson will play for FC Pune City in the Hero Indian Super League football season-2. Seven years ago the 32-year-old turned out to be the key player in Cardiff City finishing runner up in the 2008 FA Cup.
“This will be a completely new experience in my career. I am excited to be a part of FC Pune City’s ambitious plans. Alongside head coach David Platt and other top signings I hope to share my experience with the boys in the side and make a difference,” said Johnson.
The Englishman made his professional debut for Wycombe Wanderers at the age of 17 and after 182 appearances he moved to Cardiff City in 2006.
Platt believes Johnson is a defender with great experience. “He is solid in his defensive duties and an exceptional vocal organiser which is a quality that will help the players around him.” Johnson is the eighth player signed by the Pune club. The others are Adrian Mutu, Didier Zokora, Tuncay Sanli, Yendrick Ruiz and English players Nicky Shorey, Steve Simonsen and James Bailey. Johnson will join the team in Turkey where it is undergoing pre-season training.
Please Wait while comments are loading…
1. Comments will be moderated by The Hindu editorial team.
2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published.
3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters,
or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text.
(example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not ‘the’, n is not ‘and’).
4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.
5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.