“In a speech on Teachers’ Day, the Hon’ble Prime Minister had called upon Indian scientists to actively involve themselves in teaching in schools and colleges. The Ministry of Science & Technology had sent a communication in this regard, and the same was duly received by the National Institute of Immunology (NII) through the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) on 17.09.2014.
2. Acting on the same, NII formulated detailed programme to bridge undergraduate colleges, working out the principles, scope and mode of implementation in consultation with several colleges of the University of Delhi, and named it Science Setu. The proposal was approved by NII’s Governing Body at its meeting held on 12.11.14
3. Following this, more consultations were held with the teaching community of the colleges on 14.12.2014. As of now, Ten (10) Delhi University Colleges (Daulat Ram College, Dyal Singh College, Gargi College, Hansraj College, Hindu College, Miranda House, Ramjas College, SGTB Khalsa College, Sri Venkateswara College, Zakir Hussain Delhi Collge) have agreed to be partners in the Science Setu programme. NII has formally signed MoUs with them. More colleges are likely to be recruited. The programme has generated a great deal of goodwill and excitement among the academic community, and will benefit both NII and the partner institutions.
4. Under this programme, every permanent faculty member of NII is expected to spend at least 12 hours per year in an undergraduate college.
5. NII intends to commence this programme w.e.f. the new semester starting from July 2015 or even earlier during the summer vacation at the colleges as per the needs of individual partners.
6. Science Setu is being launched at a formal function at NII on 26.03.2015, 3.15 pm. A quiz is being organized for undergraduate students just prior to the main function. The winning and runners up teams will be awarded prizes at the launch function. Apart from the faculty and the staff of NII, principals, teachers and students from the partner colleges are expected to participate in significant numbers.
7. Dr K. VijayRaghvan, FRS and Secretary, DBT will be the Chief Guest at the function. Professor Raghavendra Gadagkar, IISc, Bengaluru and President INSA, will be the Guest of Honour and will deliver a talk on “Science Education Indisciplined”.