Hindustan Eagles scored its second successive victory in the Chennai Football Association (CFA) senior division league here on Wednesday with a 1-0 win over a seasoned Chennai Customs. Nigerian import Nidubuisi Opara, on whom the team’s fortunes rest, netted from close range in the 43rd minute.
The first half was scratchy with the teams struggling to maintain possession. It was only in the second half that the contest came alive.
The two Nigerian forwards, Opara and Babatunde troubled Customs no end with their speed and physical game.
The best chance for Eagles emerged in the second half when Opara’s shot was fisted away by Arun Pradeep. Customs too had its share of chances especially towards the end of he match, but couldn’t make them count.
In an earlier contest, Sourav Mallick’s brace enabled Arrows beat FCI 2-0.
I Division: MSU 2 (Basheer Ahmed, Chekmunokafur) bt SBI 0; Chennai City FC 7 (Samuel Jackson 4, M. Soosairaj 2 & Shijin) bt Challengers Union 1 (T. Pugazhendi).
COACHSPEAK: Abraham Verghese (Eagles): We are happy with the win; two victories to be precise. Opara is the most experienced striker in the league. He is our key man. Today our midfield didn’t play to a plan. That was a concern.
Grand Duraipandian (Customs): Our forwards didn’t utilise the chances that came their way. Towards the end, we had a lot of scoring chances. We could have at least drawn the match.
- Up to 35% off or more on sporting goods
- ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 Merchandise
Please Wait while comments are loading…
1. Comments will be moderated by The Hindu editorial team.
2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published.
3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters,
or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text.
(example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not ‘the’, n is not ‘and’).
4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.
5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.