English Premier League leaders Chelsea beat north London rivals Tottenham Hotspurs 2-0 to lift the League Cup at Wembley here on Sunday.
It was Jose Mourinho’s first trophy in his second spell as Chelsea manager.
“I am really happy,” Mr. Mourinho said after the match. “Everybody was fantastic in the run to winning this trophy,” Xinhua quoted him as saying.
Chelsea have now won five League Cups, matching Aston Villa for second-most behind Liverpool’s eight.
Christian Eriksen gave Chelsea an early scare by hitting a free-kick against the bar after Harry Kane had been fouled by Cesc Fabregas.
But it was Blues captain John Terry who opened the scoring in the 45th minute when Willian’s free-kick dropped loose inside the box and he blasted home via a deflection.
Mr. Mourinho’s side doubled the lead in the 56th minute thanks to an own goal. Diego Costa’s shot was turned in by the leg of Kyle Walker.
Spurs tried hard in search of a goal but Chelsea took demand and gave them no chance.
Chelsea gained revenge for the 2008 final defeat to the Spurs.
- Up to 35% off or more on sporting goods
- ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 Merchandise
Please Wait while comments are loading…
1. Comments will be moderated by The Hindu editorial team.
2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published.
3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters,
or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text.
(example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not ‘the’, n is not ‘and’).
4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.
5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.