The Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Youth Affairs and Sports Shri Sarbananda Sonowal has said that at present 623 Kendras of Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) are functioning in the country. State/Union Territory wise and location wise details of all such Kendras is at Annexure-1. No proposal for setting up more Kendras has been received from State Governments.
In a written reply in the Lok Sabha today Shri Sonowal said, NYKS every year undertakes a set of programmes relating to Youth Club Development, Capacity Building of Youth, Skill Development and Programmes for Awareness Generation and Promotion of National Integration. During the last three years and current year, these programmes have contributed towards strengthening of existing Youth Clubs network of NYKS and empowering youth for their participation at grass root level in nation building activities.
Core Programmes of all Nehru Yuva Kendras(NYKs)
1. Youth Club Development Programme
2. Scheme of Mentor Youth Club
3. Youth Club Exchange Programme
4. Training on Youth Leadership and Community Development (TYLCD)
5. Theme Based Awareness and Education Programme
6. Promotion of Sports (Sports material to Youth Clubs)
7. Cluster and District level Inter Youth Club Sports Meet
8. Skill Up-gradation Training Programme (SUTP) for Women
9. Scheme of Youth Employability Skill Project (YES)
10. Promotion of Folk, Art and Culture
11. Observance of Days of National and International Importance
12. Youth Convention and Yuva Kriti at District and State Level
13. District Youth Awards (Individual)
14. Awards to Outstanding Youth Clubs at district, state and national level.
In addition to the Core Programmes, Nehru Yuva Kendras also organised the following programmes : –
1. Youth Leadership and Personality Development Programme
2. Adventure Camps
3. Life Skill Training for Adolescents,
4. National Integration Camps.
5. Adolescent Health & Development project supported by UNFPA in 10 NYK Districts of 5 States I.e. Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar and Odisha.
Shri Sonowal said, NYKS have also implemented projects of other Ministries/Departments like prevention of drug abuse and alcoholism in Punjab and Manipur, Tribal Youth Exchange Programme, Voter awareness Programme through Election Commission, Adolescents Development and Empowerment, etc.
He said, an evaluation study of Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) was entrusted to an independent evaluation agency which has recently been submitted its report. A consolidated view of the deficiencies/recommendations identified by the agency have been summarized as under:
i. Lack of manpower.
ii. Lack of funds to implement the programme in effective ways.
iii. Delay in disbursement of fund at district level.
iv. Lack of inter-ministerial, center to state and district coordination.
v. Improvement in record management.
vi. Committees formed at different level needs to be active and informed.
vi. Monitoring of programme through external agencies and separate fund for monitoring should be earmarked.
The Minister said, the recommendations as per the study have been accepted and are being implemented in a phased manner depending upon the availability of funds. The Government has constituted a Cadre Review Committee (CRC) to improve/strengthen the management of NYKS and to put more effective system and mechanisms in place for the smooth functioning of the Organisation. The report of the Committee has been received. After implementation of the recommendations, the personnel, administration and establishment matters of the organization shall be further revamped.
The skill development initiatives undertaken by Nehru Yuva Kendras are Skill Up-gradation Training Programme for Women (SUTP), Training of National Youth Corps (NYC) volunteers through recognized Vocational Training Providers(VTPs) and sponsoring youth for skill development training through the Schemes of different agencies available at district level, Shri Sonowal added.
Click here to see Annexure