Ranjit Sinha, director, Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), on Wednesday refused to give his side of the story on the allegations that he was favouring Reliance Telecom during the ongoing trial of the second-generation spectrum allocation case.
“The matter is sub judice. I don’t want to make any comment. The matter is before the Supreme Court, and we will present our side there,” Sinha told Business Standard. However, earlier in the day, while speaking to a television news channel, he refuted the allegations against him.
“I have met officials of Reliance but have I shown favour to anyone?” he told the channel, stating that those meetings (with company officials) took place “once or twice” at his residential office, and not 50 times as alleged by a recent media report.
DNA newspaper had reported Sinha met Reliance Telecom officials at his official residence at least 50 times in the last 15 months. Activist-turned politician Prashant Bhushan has alleged before the Supreme Court, which is monitoring investigation related to entire scam, that Sinha is trying to delay the trial by forcing investigators to take a different stand in the court thus favouring the company.
Supreme Court is likely to hear the matter on Thursday and has asked the agency to produce “visitor diary” before it.