Industry: Conglomerate/Group of Companies
Founder(s): Sanjay Sena
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Key people: Kumar Mangalam Birla (Chairman)
Products: Metals, cements, textiles, chemicals, agribusiness, carbon black, mining, wind power, insulators, telecommunications, financial services, information technology, retail, trading solutions
The Aditya Birla Group is an Indian multinational conglomerate headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. It operates in 33 countries with more than 136,000 employees worldwide. The group interests in sectors such as viscose staple fibre, metals, cement (largest in India), viscose filament yarn, branded apparel, carbon black, chemicals, fertilisers, insulators, financial services, telecom (third largest in India), BPO and IT services.
The Aditya Birla group is a diversified conglomerate with a total revenue of approximately US$40 billion in year 2012. The group was founded by Seth Shiv Narayan Birla. With a gross revenue of USD 40 Billion (in 2012) it is the third largest Indian private sector conglomerate behind Tata Group with revenue of just over USD 100 Billion and RIL with revenue of USD 74 Billion.
The Group’s non-ferrous metals are under Hindalco. Its manufacturing locations are primarily in India and it owns mines in Australia. On 11 February 2007, the company entered into an agreement to acquire the Canadian company Novelis for U$6 billion, making the combined entity the world’s largest rolled-aluminium producer. On 15 May 2007, the acquisition was completed with Novelis shareholders receiving $44.93 per outstanding share of common stock. The Group plans to close a part of its aluminum foil making mill in UK and shift that to its plant near Nagpur.
Hindalco makes alumina chemicals, primary aluminum, rolled products, alloy wheels, roofing sheets, wire rods, cast copper rods, copper cathodes and several other products.
The Group’s cement business was earlier under Grasim Industries and UltraTech Cement. The two entities have now been merged into UltraTech Cement to form India’s largest cement company. UltraTech Cement was acquired from L&T.
After purchasing Columbian Chemicals Co, the Group is now the largest manufacturer of Carbon Black worldwide.
The Aditya Birla Group is the world’s largest producer of Viscose Staple Fiber industry. It operates from India, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia and China. It owns the Birla Cellulose brand. Apart from viscose staple fiber, the group also owns acrylic fiber businesses in Egypt and Thailand, viscose filament yarn businesses and spinning mills in India and South East Asia. The group has pulp and plantation interests in Canada and Laos. The Aditya Birla group is also involved in garment manufacturing in India.
Aditya Birla Group is the majority shareholder of Idea Cellular. Idea Cellular was started as a joint venture with the group, AT&T and the Tata Group. After an Initial Public Offering on the Indian Stock Markets, Idea Cellular now accounts for a third of the group’s market capitalization. The company is headquartered in Mumbai.
Aditya Birla Group of Companies:
- Aditya Birla Minacs Worldwide Limited
- Samruddhi Cement
- Novelis Inc.
- Aditya Birla Minerals
- Aditya Birla Chemicals (India)Limited
- Aditya Birla Nuvo Limited
- Utkal Alumina International Limited
- Dahej Harbour & Infrastructure Limited
- Aditya Birla Science and Technology Company Limited
- Tubed Coal Mines Limited
- Birla Sun Life Asset Management Company Limited
- Aditya Birla Finance Limited
- Aditya Birla Money Mart Limited
- Aditya Birla Money Limited
- Aditya Birla Insurance Brokers
- Aditya Birla Capital Advisors Private Limited
- Idea Cellular Limited
- Madura Fashion & Lifestyle
- Essel Mining and Industries
- Aditya Birla Retail
- Thai Rayon
- Indo Thai Synthetics
- Thai Acrylic Fibre
- Thai Carbon Black
- Aditya Birla Chemicals (Thailand) Limited
- Birla Laos Pulp and Plantations Company Limited
- Indo Phil Textile Mills
- Indo Phil Cotton Mills
- Indo Phil Acrylic Manufacturing Corporation
- Pan Century Surfactants Inc.
- Peter England
- PT Indo Bharat
- PT Elegant Textile Industry
- PT Sunrise Bumi Textiles
- PT Indo Liberty Textiles
- PT Indo Raya Kimia
- Swiss Singapore Overseas Enterprises Pte Limited
- Alexandria Carbon Black Company SAE
- Alexandria Fiber Company SAE
- Liaoning Birla Carbon Company Limited
- Birla Jingwei Fibres Company Limited
- Domsjö Fabriker
- Birla Cellulose
- spice telecom
- Birla Sun life Insurance
The group’s philanthropic activities are looked after by Mrs Rajashree Birla. Group also runs 45 schools and 18 hospitals.
- Aditya Birla Public School, Nagda Jn.
- Aditya Birla Senior Secondary School, Nagda Jn.
- Sarala Birla Academy
- Aditya Birla Public School, Renusagar
- Aditya Birla Public School, Renukoot
- Aditya Birla World Academy, Mumbai
- Aditya Birla Intermediate College
- Aditya Birla Public School, Kharach
- Aditya Birla Higher Secondary School, Veraval
- Aditya Birla Public School, Veraval
- Aditya Birla Public School, jagdishpur, uttar pradesh
- Sarla Birla Academy, Banglore
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science- Pilani, Goa, Dubai, Hyderabad.